October 04, 2004

My Name

My name is Roopak. Why did my parents choose this name for me, even I don’t know. I feel, it might be because it sounded very well and it was not like a traditional name at those days. As a child when I used to ask my parents the meaning of my name all that they would say was that “it’s a type of ALANKAR”. I don’t know the exact word in English for “ALANKAR” so I will try to elaborate it according to Hindi literature. Someone who decorates or makes things more attractive by adding something is called “ALANKAR”. Am I attractive enough?
What would have happened if my name was not Roopak? Would it effect anyhow? My family astrologer had predicted that my name should start with ‘Gya’ so my grandfather suggested names like ‘Gyanprakash’, ‘Gyanchand’ e.t.c. What if my name would have been ‘Gyanprakash’ or ‘Gyanchand’? Has my life been shaping up according to my name?
I don’t believe in the modernity of the name thus I can say that it hardly matters whether your name is ‘Gyanprakash’ or ‘Roopak’. I am very confused. I am very confused.

3 comments:

Roopak said...

Krey wrote this. Unfortunately I deleted it as I was trying to be familiar with the different links.
kreya said...
name does have something to do with ur personality roopak.i m also very confused as i even dont know the right meaning of my name but i can't think of having any other name because something happens to me when i hear my name .its my name and it is important !!
i think that the meaning of ur name may be different for you from what does it mean in any dictionary but it does have some meaning indeed.
Kreya, yes you are right. my name is very much important for me but as I wrote I am confused with the meaning of it.

Anonymous said...

ALL I CAN SAY 'ROOPAK' IS THAT YOU HAVE WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS. GO GET A LIFE DUDE...

Unknown said...

in music there is a taal n it is "roopak taal" a cycle of 7 matras.it is used in so many hindi film songs...nice name.